Monday, August 1, 2011

Update on Josh

I was only able to chat with Josh last night for just a few minutes.  The hotel they arrived at yesterday doesn't have wifi and there were only a few computers at the hotel for everyone to share, so he had to make his communication short.

When the kids went to bed, I started my vigil of waiting by the computer.  When I finally heard the chat chime in at almost 10:30, my heart fluttered like a schoolgirl.  I can't believe that he still has that effect on me after 20 years! This is what he had to say about his experiences so far:

Josh: hey you there
10:19 PM me: yes
 Josh: i am safe.. hehe wanted to let you know... cant type well on this keyboard
10:20 PM me: what are u using?
 Josh: we went to a church service tonight.. hotel computer
  en espaniole.   I cried a lot today.. and it was just dinner and a church service  I also can't promise I wont come back with another sponsored child

I know just how he feels.  Trying to type on a Spanish keyboard (Who knew they could be so different?), sitting in a foreign hotel with people I have just met, trying to deal with the emotions of being with the children all day - knowing the great needs, feeling joy for the ones whose needs are being met and feeling sorrow for those whose aren't, feeling appreciation for the staff of the programs who are really making a difference, and frustration for the things or people that can't be changed.  It is a lot, but it is part of the process.  

As I laid alone in my bed last night, I thought of what our lives would look like now if we would have never sponsored Karla in our senior year of college.  Would we be the same people, with the same beliefs and perspectives about life, money, and people?  I am not sure.  God works in so many ways and I know that Compassion is not the only organization out there doing great things, but I am so thankful that we picked up that little girl's picture in the plastic sleeve so many years ago. 

4 comments:

Jill Foley said...

So is Josh on a Compassion trip? Do you have a sponsored child there in Guatemala?

Jennifer said...

Yes he is and yes we do. We have been sponsoring Jeremias for almost as long as we have Elias, my child I visited in Peru.
Mark and Josh Oelke, the father and son who went to Peru with us, are also on his trip. Mark's wife and daughter is also with them.

Jill Foley said...

Very cool! Gosh...I wish I was on another trip already. We are tentatively talking about taking our girls to the DR next spring. We sponsor 2 kids there....one is Sydney's birthday buddy (same day, same year).

Kevin has gone on 2 trips (medical missions) since I went to Peru, but not with Compassion. He went to Haiti in Nov and Honduras in May.

Jennifer said...

Allan has been on three or four trips since we went last year.