When I got to the Catalyst conference, I looked through my bag of registration materials and saw a Compassion flyer. I knew Compassion had been a partner with the Catalyst Conference, but I didn't think to put 2 and 2 together to realize that there would be a sign-up table at the conference when I signed up to go.
So, since we had 20 minutes until the conference began, I made my way to the Compassion table to see if they needed any help and they did. So I spent all of the break times working at the Compassion table. Even though I loved those from my church who came with me and enjoyed the time we had to hang out on the drive to and from the conference, there was no place I would have rather been during the break than being at the sign-up table sharing Compassion with church leaders. It was such a great feeling when I saw 2 people I had spoken with during the first break come back during the second break to sponsor.
It was an equally great feeling to watch a sweet, young girl turn away and not sponsor. Let me explain. She asked the common question, "So what is the time commitment for sponsoring?" I told her that ideally, Compassion would like sponsors to commit to sponsoring that child until they leave the sponsorship program and I explained why it was so important to build a relationship and not just make a financial contribution. As she processed this information, I could tell by her expression that she was not able to make that type of commitment that day...but I don't believe it will be too far into the future that she will. She wasn't falling in love with the idea of helping, she was taking seriously the role that she would play in God's plan for a child's life (and her own) one day.
As I was walking back to my seat after the last break, I realized that I was smiling to myself. I was smiling, not because of the fun I was having at the conference, but the joy that living out the mission that God has placed in my heart brings to me.
And speaking of joy...
I think I also mentioned that there is currently a Compassion bloggers trip to Peru happening...maybe once or twice? I always enjoy reading the blogging trip posts, but I have definitely enjoyed these posts way more. As I read the posts and see the pictures, I feel like I recognize it all. They haven't went to the same programs or the same houses, but it resembles so much of the experiences I had while I was there.
The blogger I have enjoyed reading the most is Angie Smith. I don't think I have read one post that she has written without having tears in my eyes and a smile on my face. Please check out this post and definitely watch the short video at the end to see how she and her 9-year old twin girls are coping and finding joy in the midst of it all - I think it will bring you a lot of joy too.
No comments:
Post a Comment