Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring up, oh, well in my soul

There was a song we sang in a church we attended briefly in college that I now sing to my kids (with cool sound effects, may I add).  The words are: 
I've got a river of life flowin' out of me.
Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see.
Opens prison doors, sets the captives free.
I've got a river of life flowin' out of me.

Spring up Oh Well.
Within my soul.
Spring up Oh Well
And make me whole.
Spring up Oh Well
And give to me
That life abundantly.
As I sing this song, I can easily picture cleansing waters flowing abundantly.  But what about those who've never seen that in their lives.  Clean water that flows freely is something that I continue to take for granted.
March 22 is World Water Day, a day to raise awareness of the lack of clean, safe water all over the world. 
You can give access to clean water for life to 1 family for $55. http://www.compassion.com/catalog/safe-water-for-life.htm
The United Nation's Water.org Facebook page says, “A five-minute shower uses more water than one person in a slum will get in a whole day.”  
If you have ever been without running water for even one day, you know how painstakingly you conserve all the water that you have or can collect - especially if you have to buy it.  Imagine that was how you had to live every day?  Many in the world do.

Check out this Compassion International blog post: http://blog.compassion.com/access-to-water-the-luxury-of-water-and-hair-washing/#ixzz1pYaR0eC4

1 comment:

Jill Foley said...

Now I've got this song in my head!: )