Tuesday, February 2, 2010

We'll do what's necessary, because even a miracle needs a hand.

The kids and I have been in the house together way too long.  The house feels stale and dirty.  I have been sick since Saturday evening, but with the kids being sick for longer than me.  It has felt like we have been sick forever.  I am so ready to bust out of here and to feel healthy again.  I want to throw open the windows and wash the ick away.  Too bad the temperatures are still freezing outside.  It is so wearing to feel sick and tired.  I think of all of those in Haiti who have, at the least, scraps and bruises, and have no home to comfort them in their misery.  I have my home and medicine, and I still feel listless and frustrated.  To say that I can't even imagine what they are experiencing would be an understatement.  I sit and complain about my kids keeping me up at night or fighting during the day, while I have all the comforts that a decent American income can buy.  And yet, it is all so fleeting.  I never know when it could all be swept away - maybe not by an earthquake, but by a job loss or a death or something that I cannot even anticipate. 
I have had a lot of time to think lately, but it still never seems to be enough.  Josh and I always seem to have so many big decisions to make and yet we always are working on our limited wisdom, in our limited corner of life.  Whenever we are talking and praying about something, I always think about the song from the old "Twas the night before Christmas" movie. I don't know about the theological accuracy, but it makes me feel inspired that God wants to use me to help make miraculous things happen on earth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kRt1gbUXJg
On another subject, Elias lost his first tooth last night.  It was hanging by a thread.  We finally convinced him to let Josh finish pulling it out with a little pair of pliers.  It popped right out and Elias was so excited.  Unfortunately, he wasn't feeling well enough yet to go to school, so he was disappointed that he couldn't show all his classmates.  But he has spent the entire morning with his tongue in the hole.  It's odd that the same tooth we were so excited to see when it poked its way through his gum, we are now equally excited to see it fall out.  It is great to share the excitement with Elias.  When the tooth was coming in, the only recognition that Elias had of it was the pain it gave him as it was pushing its way out!  Elias asked Josh if he could have a blog a couple weeks ago and last night, Elias asked Josh to post that he lost his tooth on the blog as well. http://eliaslee.blogspot.com/
I finished another book last night, and I definitely feel like it warrants a blog post, but it will have to wait for another time, since my kids are begging me to come play baseball - in the house!  Spring is only 6 short weeks away, right?

No comments: