Monday, February 15, 2010

Snowed In - The Sequel

Well, it seems that my confinement has begun again.  Surprisingly, even after all of the forecasts of snow that have been turning out to be correct, a part of me still lives in denial until the flakes start to fly.  The only explanation can be that I have not seen it snow this much for this long since I was a kid.  The kids got bored quickly this morning and were separated in their rooms by 9 a.m. for fighting, which is what happens when they get bored.  So, I decided that this week would not be one pj-clad, ambiguous hour after another.  I got us all dressed and ready for the day and then started my own little schedule - similar to one that we would have, if we actually had somewhere to go or if Elias was in school.  They had individual quiet play time in their rooms.  Then we painted.  Then we had story time.  Then I sat down and made Elias write our phone number and address down on a piece of paper and then copy it (This is something we have decided we must teach him.  A few hours after we dropped Elias off on Saturday, we realized that the parents of the friend he stayed with didn't have our phone number .  He knows most of it, but we decided it was time to get serious and make sure he knows all of it.).  Then it was lunch time and then physical activity or, as Elias called it, recess.  Recess was originally going to be outside, but when the snow started pouring, we broke out the DDR instead.  We haven't had it out for over a year and I forgot how much fun it is!  Since the game is pretty difficult, the kids don't do too well score-wise, but they still have fun jumping around trying.  Of course, both of them got upset when I kept getting 1st place.  Elias even unplugged my controller at one point, so he could win!  There would have been more fighting if it would have just between the two of them.
Having a schedule has helped all of us and I am definitely planning on making a schedule again tomorrow, when we will inevitably be snowed in again!  I used to do this all the time before Elias went to school and don't know how I have gotten so out of practice with it already.

No comments: