Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's Veteran's Day - but here comes Christmas!

Elias is off school today for Veteran's Day (Thank you sincerely to any veterans or military, or family members of military who may be reading this blog.).  It is so nice to be able to move a little slower and not have a stringent schedule to manage.  The kids are now napping and I can relax without having to keep my eye on the clock.  Normally, I have to wake Bella up to get Elias off the bus by 3:30.  We had a play date with one of Elias' former preschool classmates, who has a sister who is a little younger than Bella, and the kids had a great time.  I enjoyed it too, because this classmates' mother and I had formed a friendship last year and we haven't been able to keep in touch since school ended last Spring.  I am looking forward to the Thanksgiving break - though I am sure I will be ready to send Elias off to school again by the end of it!  Elias and Bella were playing so well together this morning.  There was hardly a bicker between the two of them before their friends arrived.  I know by Friday of the Thanksgiving break I will have had plenty of time to referee!  This school year is moving along so quickly and Christmas will be here before we know it.
I am normally resistant to starting some Christmas traditions too early, but I love Christmas music and think it is a shame that we sequester some songs to only Christmas time. Many are about the foundations of our faith, not just a day on the calendar.  One of my favorites is "Mary's song" - or probably better known as "Breath of Heaven".  It is a beautiful song written from Mary's point of view that really reminds me deeply that Mary was an actual girl, with real emotions and a real life, not just a character in a story.  So, I have filled my ipod with Christmas music and I am looking forward to getting on the treadmill more, since I know I have the music there waiting for me.  I also love Christmas movies.  My favorite is the Christmas Carol, but I also enjoy Bing Crosby's White Christmas and the 1990's version of Miracle on 34th Street and several others.  Then there are all the cartoons.  I used to love "Flintstone's Christmas Carol", but, sadly, it was on VHS, so we can no longer watch it.  Most people never knew it even existed, but it is a classic indeed!  Josh does not share my love for Christmas movies or music, but he is always more interested in putting up decorations than I am.  It is probably odd that I am hesitant to get the decorations out, being the female in the house and probably more naturally inclined to decorate - I just know whatever goes up, must come down.  And I am always the first to say that it is time for everything to come down and then it is time for Josh to be hesitant.  This year, I really want to practice advent in our home.  We have talked about doing it for several years, but now I think the kids are old enough to be able to participate in it, so I think this is the year.  I just don't want all the American traditions of Christmas to suffocate the reason we celebrate in the first place.  I want it to be a time set apart for reflection and appreciation to God, not a time spent in a blur of activity and indulgence.  It is so easy to get pulled into the chaos.  That reminds me again of "Mary's Song", about letting God "hold me together" and "lighten my darkness."

Breath Of Heaven
I have traveled many moonless nights
Cold and weary, with a babe inside
And I wonder what I’ve done
Holy Father you have come
And chosen me now, to carry your son.
I am waiting, in a silent prayer
I am frightened, by the load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now, be with me now.
Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever near me, breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness
Pour over me your holiness, for you are holy,
Breath of Heaven.
Do you wonder when you watch my face,
If a wiser one should have had my place?
But I offer all I am for the mercy of your plan
Help me be strong, help me be strong,
Help me be strong, help me.
Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever near me, breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness
Pour over me your holiness, for you are holy.
Breath of Heaven, hold me together
Be forever near me, breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, lighten my darkness
Pour over me your holiness, for you are holy.
Breath of Heaven,

1 comment:

Maria said...

I love that song (Breath of Heaven). :)