Monday, September 7, 2009

Where do I begin?

I have thought a lot lately about starting a blog.  I have journaled since my senior year in high school when my English teacher made journaling an assignment.  We had to write a paragraph a day.  It could be about absolutely anything, but it had to be daily.  I immediately fell in love with the assignment and since then I have filled multiple journals every year.  It has helped me to spill out frustrations or excitement, record events and feelings I don't want to forget, and has often served as a reminder of where I have been and where I want to go in my life.  I have often thought about what will happen to all of these journals when I die.  But I guess then, it really won't matter to me much!  I love historical movies, non-fiction and fiction books, and even shows like "History Detectives" and "Antiques Roadshow".  In these, bits and pieces of people's journals play significant roles in placing times and events or even just getting a feel for what people thought or felt during a particular time in history.  I wonder if anything I ever would write could bear any significance to the next generation.  I know little about the history of my family or the personalities of those even a generation before my parents and I have always wished to know more. 
When I have thought about blogging in the past, I felt like I need to start from the beginning.  I was so overwhelmed, I decided blogging could wait.  I also felt slightly squimish about the fact that others would read the things I wrote - while I was still alive and kicking!  What if I have an embarrassing typo or what if I said something that offended someone?  But I have so enjoyed keeping up with others and even learning a thing or two from other's blogs, I have decided to set aside my concerns and just start from where I am right now.  So here we go....

No comments: