I love the show "The Biggest Loser". It is the only show, outside of the Food Network, that I record so I will not miss a single episode.
On last night's episode, every player had to work together to lose a combined total of 150 pounds, so that no one had to be voted off. So instead of being enemies, they were all teammates and had to motivate each other. I think it was one of my favorite episodes! It was amazing to see how well everyone did when they were working for each other instead of against one another. They had a challenge where each player had to walk across a series of balance beams, which grew increasingly more narrow, to win prizes, like pound reductions of the required 150 pounds to lose and phone calls home. The catch was that not one person could fall off. If anyone did, the game was over. I don't think I have seen a challenge that was over water yet that at least one person did not fall in. I could not believe that all 15 of these very large people were able to make it across all the balance beams, the most narrow being only 6 inches wide, and not go under. Then, to top off the whole thing off, they ended up not needing the pound reduction anyway, because they ended up losing a combined total of 150 pounds anyway, despite week 2 of the competition being notorius for low weight loss numbers. I think it is amazing how much better we as humans function when we are working together toward a common goal, instead of clawing our way to the top to gain the glory. I am glad that the producers of this show recognized that maybe viewers wanted to see a little less back-biting and ugliness and a little more heart - especially after the last couple seasons when the evils of the competition had become more prevalent than ever. I wonder how we would all act, if we could watch ourselves in constant playback. If the things we said and the ways we treated people would be readily available for others to see, but for us to see as well. I know that I would think more carefully about how I chose to treat the worker who picks up the phone when I call the insurance toll-free line or I might not make such a huge deal about my kids spilling juice on the floor. If I saw myself from the outside, I may not always be able to use the same justifications I use to excuse my behavior because they would just seem pathetic, even to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment