Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Just a Minute

Wess Stafford has just published another book.  It is very different than his last book, "Too Small To Ignore", which detailed his own life and how it has effected his ministry, which I also highly suggest reading.  This book, titled Just a Minute, is a series of other people's stories of how in "Just a Minute" there life was effected by someone else.  Check out the website to watch the trailer for the book or to order it.  All of Wess Stafford's proceeds for the book are going back to Compassion International.  It is a book that can be read easily when you only have just a minute (sorry, I can't help the puns!) and it inspires you to realize that sometimes the littlest things can have the hugest impact.

On the website, you can also download free study guides.  They have different ones for individuals, homeschooling, a Sunday School class, a small group, or even a sermon.  There is even a place on the website for you to share your own story

A long, long time ago, in late October 2010 to be exact, Compassion posted a request on their blog.  The request was for people to send them stories about how someone had influenced their life by just a few words or by a simple action, etc.  I wrote this blog post and submitted it.
Many months later, after I had long forgotten about even writing the entry, I got an e-mail asking if the editor of the book could call me to talk about it.  I was so surprised.  Out of the hundreds, probably thousands, of entries that were submitted, they were interested in talking to me about mine.  So I talked on the phone with the editor of a while, detailing the accounts I had shared a little more.  He took it, did his editing magic, and sent me the final copy to okay. I hadn't told anyone, other than my husband, since it isn't like they are publishing a book that I wrote and there are 60 other people's accounts included as well.  But I got my copy in the mail yesterday and I have to admit that I am excited about it! Josh told the kids that there was a story mommy had written in the book and Elias asked me to read it to him. He thought it was pretty cool - except he didn't like that it mentioned I had two kids and it didn't include his name!

One of the people who took "just a minute" in my life is my sister Tracey.  I have not told her anything about the book and she doesn't read my blog, so she has no idea I even submitted the story.  I cannot wait to send her a copy of the book.  Another person who is included in the story is my 8th grade social studies teacher.  A few years ago, I had written him a letter and went back to my middle school to tell him how he had changed the course of my life. It meant a lot to both of us for me to share that with him. I may just get him a copy too.

I encourage you today - if there is someone who has had a profound effect on your life, don't wait until tomorrow or a week or a year from now to tell them.  Take just a minute now to let them know.  You won't regret it.

1 comment:

Keri Wyatt Kent said...

Just a Minute didn’t just touch my heart, it stirred me to action. It’s a great collection of stories of pivotal moments when someone spoke a word of encouragement, or noticed a child, or named that child’s strength—and the results lasted forever. After being inspired by these stories--including yours!--I decided it wouldn’t take much for me to offer that kind of encouragement. Thanks for sharing your story!!