Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day Three

This trip has sent me on a realm of emotions.  I have felt so many emotions so vividly, sometimes with only a minute separating them. 

By nature,  I am a person who seeks out justice, so to see the injustices that society places on the people  and especially the children, it just makes me want to stand up and scream at the top of my lungs that it just isn't right.  But then I see the smiles of these children and the hard work of the teenagers and I know that righting the wrong is what is going on in each of their lives.


We went on a home visit to a family who had two kids who went to the Child Development Program.  The dad greeted us warmly at the door and told us that we are always welcome at his home.  We visited with him and we learned that he was out of work, but had a job interview that afternoon, but he wanted to meet us, so he was glad he could be there.  Their house was so well-kept and the children were so well-behaved.  The mother made dresses.  There was such a peacefulness about them and their home.  They went on to say that they had heard about the Compassion program while attending the church.  The man had done a lot of work to their home, including installing a bathroom with septic and cementing the dirt floors.  It was great work and we told him so and he looked so pleased with the complement and he said he takes great care to be the head of the household, even though he isn´t working and it shows.

He reminded me so much of my father, in his looks, mannerisms, pride in his work and family, that it brought tears to my eyes and I didn´t make it out of their house before they started to fall.  I decided to sponsor another child at the program that we were visiting today.  Our other sponsored child, Elias, corresponds with our son, Elias, a lot, so we wanted to have a child for Isabella to form a relationship with.  When I met her, I gave her a sucker and she thought it was the most interesting object in the world.  The visit lasted for a while, but I could tell that she is a child with a lot of spunk!  I again wished with all my heart for my Spanish to be better! 

The group lead VBS in the afternoon and then we headed back.  I was so overwhelmed, I just sat and watched the scenery go by, deciding to process the day now versus later.  It was a good choice for me.
The last thing we did is have dinner with 5 LDP students.  These young adults are so talented and smart.  Cindi, who sat at our table was so excited to get to know us and by the end of the evening, we were all hugging and laughing like friends, because we are. These students are the ones who will really have awesome impact on their communities and I can't think of better choices than them and I am so glad it was the last thing we did for the evening.  This doesn´t do the day justice, but I have to get to bed.

The official Compassion blog had a blog about visiting your child that I felt was a good complement to my meager post if you would like to check it out.

No comments: