It is the day before the last day of school for the kids. We have been tying up loose ends on all of our activities. We had a successful end-of-the-season soccer party, a fabulous dance recital, and the kids end-of-the-year luau yesterday at school. I haven't subbed this week (though volunteering at the luau yesterday was just like subbing, without the pay!) and I doubt I will be subbing tomorrow (not many teachers would be taking off the last day of school). Not subbing suits me fine. I am enjoying the last minutes of quiet and solitude before the noise of having children home all day begins.
My house is a WRECK! I will be honest. My floors have not seen a broom or vacuum in about two or three weeks and my furniture has not been dusted since before that! The laundry has been getting done on an "as needed" basis, as have the dishes...and our meals. The toilets have been scrubbed recently (because there are just some things I can't let go), but the showers are pretty scary at this point. I really had every intention on starting early and getting it done today, but it is already 11:30 and it doesn't look promising.
So what have I been doing with all of my (not so much of it) free time?
1. I read a novel in 3 days. It is called, "The Penny". Great book I got from the library. I highly suggest it.
2. Watched 2 good movies. "Rust" and "Forever Strong". Both great movies. I highly suggest them as well. Available on Netflix.
3. Went biking on the Rails and Trails as a family. It is even more fun than last year, because Bella is able to keep up with us more. I think we may even get her a bigger bike soon, since her legs have gotten so much longer since last summer.
4. Relaxing! - Sitting on the porch with a bowl of ice cream after dinner in the evenings. Reading a devotional book by Corrie Ten Boom. Sitting in our recliner and writing in my journal.
5. Hugging my kids and asking them questions about their thoughts and feelings. - Subbing has made me realize just how much my kids need me to build them up from what the world tears down in them. Bella is especially anxious right now about leaving kindergarten to move on to the 1st grade. I think Elias is feeling a little anxious too, even though he hasn't admitted to it as much.
6. Reading Junie B. Jones books with the kids. I think I enjoy those books more than the kids! That girl just cracks me up. She is funnier than Ramona the Pest, but with much worse grammar! She is a little bratty, but in an endearing sort of way.
7. Laughing with Josh - I love that man!
8. Preparing myself mentally for summer - to prevent our summer from being an endless cycle of hyper activity and boredom.
I think I forgot how to relax for a few weeks when we were so busy and I was working so much (Relaxing is something I am never really good at to begin with!).
I have so many jobs I want to get done this summer and I see more things around the house that will need done in the near future. When I was a kid, I used to wonder why my parents never got around to doing certain things around the house, but other things would come up and they would decide to do right away. Now I can understand why. There are just too many things to do and not enough time and if you want to live your life, you just have to let some things slide. Right now, the cleanliness of my house is on the "slide" pile, along with general house repairs. I don't think I have quite figured out what is on my current "to do" pile yet. But I never seem to be idle for long!
No comments:
Post a Comment